Defenses to Domestic Violence Charges
Domestic violence is a grave issue, and Wisconsin takes such charges seriously. However, like any other legal situation, those accused of domestic violence deserve a fair trial and strong representation. An accusation doesn’t equate to guilt, and there are multiple defenses available to those facing domestic violence charges.
At Nelson Defense Group, we specialize in criminal defense, and we’ve been doing just that for over 20 years. With our experience, focus, and dedication to our clients, we’ve built a long record of successful outcomes, from not-guilty verdicts to reduced charges. Here, we’ll shed light on some of the most common defenses to domestic violence charges in Wisconsin.
- False Accusation: In emotionally charged situations, false accusations can arise. Perhaps it’s an attempt to gain leverage in a divorce or custody battle or due to a misunderstanding. Proving the allegation is false can be a valid defense.
- Self-Defense: If you believed that you were in imminent danger and needed to use force to protect yourself, self-defense could be a viable defense. However, you have to demonstrate that the force used was reasonable under the circumstances.
- Lack of Evidence: Prosecutors bear the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If the evidence is weak or questionable, it may not meet this threshold. Our experienced lawyers can scrutinize the evidence and, where possible, poke holes in the prosecution’s case.
- Consent: In some rare cases, it might be possible to argue that the supposed victim had given consent to the particular act, especially if it was previously part of a consensual relationship dynamic.
- Alibi: If you can prove that you were not present at the time the alleged domestic violence incident occurred, this could dismiss the charges.
- Mistaken Identity: Eyewitness testimony, especially during intense moments, can be unreliable. If someone mistakenly identifies you as the perpetrator, a strong defense can counter this claim.
At Nelson Defense Group, criminal defense is all we do, and our approach is unique. Our low-volume practice ensures that each client receives the time and attention they deserve. We understand that every case is different, requiring tailored strategies to ensure the best possible outcome. Our team-based approach ensures that when you work with us, you’re not just getting one lawyer; you’re getting our entire team.
We know that the sooner you secure representation, the better your chances of a favorable outcome. Our team is well-versed in Wisconsin’s domestic violence laws and can guide you through every step of the legal process, ensuring you’re well-informed and well-represented.
Facing domestic violence charges can be overwhelming. The potential implications on your personal and professional life can be devastating. Remember that there’s hope, and with an experienced legal team on your side, you have the best chance of presenting a strong defense and ensuring a just outcome.
If you or a loved one are facing domestic violence charges in Wisconsin, don’t wait. Secure the representation you need from a team that cares about your case as much as you do. Contact Nelson Defense Group today or call (715) 386-2694 for a free initial discussion about your case.