While sexual assault and other similar acts are an unfortunate part of our society, there is a perception that sex offenders are running amok and everyone is at high risk of being assaulted. Unfortunately, in this climate, many people have their lives turned upside down by wrongful accusations.
What is the reality of sex crimes in Wisconsin? Let’s take a look at the numbers:
- About 1.2 million Wisconsin adults have experienced sexual violence at some point in their life
- 1/3 are women
- 1/5 are men
- 50% of these indicated that the perpetrator was a current or former partner
- 32% of sexual violence emergency health visits are for people between the ages of 15-24
- Over 50% of sexual violence emergency health visits involve people under the age of 25
- Female sexual violence emergency health visits are 8.5 times greater than those involving males
- 87% of sexual violence survivors are female
- 13% of these survivors are injured during the sexual assault
- A former partner allegedly assaulted 11% of these survivors
- 77% of Wisconsin sexual assault survivors are under the age of 25
These statistics are tragic and show that we still have a long way to go in our efforts to protect against sexual assault and abuse in our state. Unfortunately, by casting too wide a net to “do something about sexual assault,” innocent people can get swept up in stings and other aggressive law enforcement investigations. Likewise, people facing accusations of sexual assault can find their due process curtailed by the stigma surrounding sex crimes and a desire for prosecutors to make an example out of them.
At Nelson Defense Group, we know you are more than an example or a statistic; you are a person with constitutional rights. You deserve a strong defense against sex crime charges and the dignity of being innocent until proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. A proven defense attorney can make all the difference in navigating such a tenuous situation.